Gold News

Gold ends Weds unchanged as US stock markets sink

From Chris Mullen at GoldSeek...

Spot Gold Prices traded slightly lower in Asia and steadily fell in London on Wednesday before rocketing over 1% off its low and trading just under unchanged for the rest of trade. 

Edging up at the US close the Gold Market ended with a gain of 0.01% for the day. Silver dropped all the way to $12.30 before it soared about 3% off its low, but it also fell back off from its mid-session rebound and ended with a notable loss of 1.34%.

The Euro Price of Gold rose over €496, platinum lost $6 to $1,261, palladium lost $4 to $346, and copper fell slightly to about $3.40.

Along with the rest of the stock market, gold and silver equities steadily fell throughout most of trade, ending with sharply underperforming losses of over 4% on average.

In the economy, the US consumer price index showed a reading of 0.1% for July, just as expected, while the Core CPI – excluding food and fuel – came in as forecast at 0.2% for the month. Net foreign purchases of US securities for June nearly matched May's surprise total at $126 billion. Industrial production for July came in with 0.3% growth, down from June's 0.5% reading.

Thursday brings Initial Jobless Claims for the week-ending Aug. 11, plus the must-awaited Housing Starts for July – expected at 1,405,000 – and Building Permits expected at 1,400,000.

In the broader markets crude oil rose as a tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico was upgraded to tropical Storm Erin. Landfall is expected along the Texas coast Thursday, but tropical storm Dean is perhaps of greater concern as it is expected to become a “major hurricane” by Monday and is headed from the Atlantic into the Gulf of Mexico. US crude inventories fell 5.2 million barrels on the latest data; gasoline inventories fell 1.1 million barrels; distillates built 200,000 barrels, and refinery utilization rose 0.5% to 91.8%.

Short-dated Treasuries and the US Dollar index continued their recent rises despite renewed Dollar losses versus the Japanese Yen. Investors and traders seem to be selling almost everything and moving into cash and bonds due to the current credit-market concerns.

The Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P traded mostly higher for much of the day as financials rebounded from recent losses on apparent short covering. The Federal Reserve added another $7 billion in liquidity, but all three indices fell markedly in the last two hours of trade and ended over 1% lower after rumors surfaced that Countrywide may need to file for bankruptcy due to problems with asset-backed commercial paper.

That certainly enhanced credit concerns for the entire market and brought the financials right back down to see notable losses along with most of the market. The Dow ended below the psychological barrier of 13,000 for the first time since April. The broader S&P index of US stocks erased the last of its gains for 2007 to date. Gold remains nearly 4% higher from Jan.

To Buy Gold Online Today, visit BullionVault now for direct access to professional-grade bullion stored securely in market-approved vault locations in your choice of New York, London, or Zurich, Switzerland.

Adrian Ash

Adrian Ash, BullionVault Gold News

Adrian Ash is director of research at BullionVault, the world-leading physical gold, silver and platinum market for private investors online. Formerly head of editorial at London's top publisher of private-investment advice, he was City correspondent for The Daily Reckoning from 2003 to 2008, and he has now been researching and writing daily analysis of precious metals and the wider financial markets for over 20 years. A frequent guest on BBC radio and television, Adrian is regularly quoted by the Financial Times, MarketWatch and many other respected news outlets, and his views from inside the bullion market have been sought by the Economist magazine, CNBC, Bloomberg, Germany's Handelsblatt and FAZ, plus Italy's Il Sole 24 Ore.

See the full archive of Adrian Ash articles on GoldNews.

Please Note: All articles published here are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it. Please review our Terms & Conditions for accessing Gold News.

Follow Us

Facebook Youtube Twitter LinkedIn



Market Fundamentals