- Frequently Asked Questions
- FAQs : Why BullionVault?
- FAQs : Safety
- FAQs : Vaulting
- FAQs : Operational
- FAQs : About Us
- FAQs : Governance
- FAQs : Robots
- FAQs : For US residents
- How to do it
- Open my account
- Fund my account
- View our bank details
- View our tariff
- Buy gold, silver and platinum
- Daily price
- Regular Gold Investment Plan
- Silver and platinum
- Claim my free bullion/money
- Trade my free bullion
- Validate my account
- Submit a document
- Reserve a specific bar
- Become a referrer
- Sell my gold, silver and platinum
- Withdraw funds
- Withdraw bullion
- Use the order panel
- Monitor my orders
- Cancelling my order
- Modify account settings
- Track spot prices
- Modify my limit price
- Set my limit duration
- See my trading history
- Prove my money is safe
- See the vault bar lists
- See client bank statement
- Switch to a different vault
- Understand my statement
- In case of death
- Close my account
- Contact BullionVault
- Make a complaint
- Whitelist our emails
- What is the standard form of bullion in BullionVault ?
- Where is my bullion stored ?
- Why is my bullion not stored in a bank ?
- What protection measures are there for my bullion ?
- What about insurance ?
- Can I store offshore ?
- How is access to my account secured ?
- What is the Burglar Alarm ?
- How can I be sure no-one will steal my bullion or money ?
- How do I check up on your records - to make sure they're sound ?
- What is "full legal ownership and title of physical bullion" in BullionVault?
- What is a bailment?
- What happens to a bailment if a business fails?
- How do you keep my unspent money safe ?
- Explain the legal difference between my cash and bullion holdings ?
Standard gold bullion bars are at least 99.5% pure. Standard silver bullion bars are at least 99.9% pure. Standard platinum bars are at least 99.95% pure. All types will have been kept continuously in professional bullion storage facilities since they were manufactured.
Each bar has a recorded history and an absolute guarantee of its integrity and bullion content.
This works under a system managed by the professional bullion markets and called the chain of integrity.
BullionVault itself also warrants the quality of all BullionVault bars stored in its vaults - both when you buy and for as long as you own your gold, silver and platinum.
Bar sizes for gold are variously:
- 400 troy ounces (~ 12.4kg),
- 100 troy ounces (~ 3.1kg), and
- 1 kilogram
The silver bars are 1000 troy ounces (~31.1kg).
Platinum bars are between 1 to 6kg (32.2 to 192.9 troy ounces).
Gold bar purity is measured, and only the purity multiplied by the gross bar weight is added to BullionVault inventory records. So your gram of 'fine gold' is guaranteed 100% pure gold held in the vaulting location of your choice. In accordance with standard bullion-market practice, silver and platinum are recorded in gross weight, not fine.
Your gold, silver and platinum are held in some of the world's strongest and most trusted specialist bullion vaults, operated on our behalf by professional market vaulting providers.
You choose in which vault your bullion is stored from one or more of the following locations:
These locations cover the most active bullion markets in the world and give you an opportunity to select an offshore jurisdiction for storage.
You buy your guaranteed quality bullion only when it is already safely in the vault. Bars are always insured and they do not move. Even in the course of delivery from BullionVault seller to buyer the bullion stays securely in the vault.
You can at any time prove your individual ownership of bullion in the vault by comparing the official bar list produced by our vault operators to an individually nicknamed list of all BullionVault holdings published on a public page on the BullionVault website.
You may be surprised that your gold, silver and platinum are not stored in a vault run by a bank. Why not?
The short answer is that nowadays banks operate the wrong kind of business to be willing and reliable custodians of your precious metals.
Modern banks make their money by providing credit, and by executing transactions. They have little enthusiasm for a low margin role as physical custodians of bullion. Very few of them actually manage bullion vaults at all.
They will - nevertheless - be pleased to provide you with unallocated bullion which in most cases is probably not the form which properly informed private buyers are looking for. [Click here for a full explanation of unallocated gold]
BullionVault does not provide unallocated gold, silver or platinum. BullionVault's customers own their bullion outright and on their behalf BullionVault seeks a vaulting system and a custodial relationship which meets the following criteria:-
- the vault management company must be long established, substantial, and 100% trustworthy
- the maintenance of physically secure facilities must be at the heart of its normal commercial operations
- the core business must not be based on, or related to, the creation and sale of financial or credit products
- the operators must be very experienced in managing bullion
- the operators must have multiple international vaults under their management
- the operators must be competent to undertake international shipments of bullion
- the operators must be fully authorised by their local bullion community to take delivery of Good Delivery Bars, store them, and deliver them up at sale as good delivery.
We believe that the vault operators we select fulfill these criteria to the very highest levels and provide the most solid and responsible of custody environments.
In the vault your bullion is soundly protected.
- It is insured.
- It exists under the jurisdiction you choose, so you yourself select the government and legislative structure you trust to protect your property. You can switch jurisdictions in moments.
- Access to your account is protected with state of the art encryption technologies - but BullionVault is designed to allow account access to be compromised and still keep your property safe.
- Withdrawal restrictions ensure value on your account is returned only to you.
- You can at any time monitor BullionVault records to prove they correctly assign vaulted bullion to you.
In a vault gold, silver and platinum are so secure that they are extremely easy to insure, and not expensive.
The vault operator provides the insurance and the evidence of that insurance is available to be viewed on the website.
The cost is included in your custody charge.
Government action against gold owners can be a material risk. This is why BullionVault enables you to secure your gold offshore and to transfer its location at minimal effort as risks in given locations change.
It is very difficult for a government intending domestic gold confiscation to apply it on gold held overseas. Conversely it is surprisingly easy where property rights depend on domestic legal arrangements.
With offshore storage it is important that foreign held assets are not subjected to military or political threats. In different ways Switzerland, Britain, the United States of America, Canada and Singapore are marked in their suitability under these criteria.
All BullionVault customers - wherever they live - can benefit from offshore custody by making an appropriate choice of storage location. Residents of these countries also have the option of domestic storage if they prefer it.
Your account is protected by some of the most secure cryptographic methods ever devised. These are widely recognised as offering a thoroughly secure means of data communication and are the technical protocols in wide use by banks, governments, and other highly secure users of the internet.
But we do not accept that the ciphers could not in future be broken, or your passwords found out.
Because of these very real risks BullionVault has assumed that against the odds your internet access will be compromised, and we have implemented substantial further safeguards to guard against such an eventuality so as to still keep your bullion and your money safe.
When certain events occur on your account, BullionVault can send an SMS message to your mobile/cell phone to keep you immediately informed. We call this the 'burglar alarm'. It allows you to monitor your account even when you aren't near a computer.
Provided your account is funded and your mobile/cell phone number is set correctly, we will automatically send an SMS message whenever:
- Your account is logged in to (optional).
- An order is placed (optional).
- A withdrawal request is entered.
You can set up your mobile/cell phone number and enable/disable the optional messages from the ACCOUNT > SETTINGS page.
Note: Your phone number must be entered in full international form for these messages to reach you.
For example: +1-555-204-5151 or 00 44 7555 123 456.
There is a nominal charge for the optional messages. Please see our tariff for details.
How our withdrawal restrictions prevent the theft of your money and bullion
Even if someone broke through your account security, and your burglar alarm, there is a final failsafe security measure - the restriction on the destination of withdrawals from your account.
In normal circumstances [see exceptions] we only allow money which might be raised on your BullionVault account (i.e. by selling your bullion at the market price) to be returned to the bank which originally funded your BullionVault account - i.e. yours.
It would be inconvenient for you, but not catastrophic - and because the criminal would not profit there is little incentive to go to the effort and risk the consequences of detection.
This is a failsafe characteristic which provides you with considerably greater security than is possible from your bank. After all, your bank probably has to effect payment on your behalf to hundreds of different places in the banking system. It cannot switch them off and still be useful to you. We on the other hand can switch them all off, and we are much more secure for you because of it.
Every day BullionVault publishes the proof of your ownership on-line.