You hear the nurse talking urgently through your TELEPHONE and you realize it's serious...You grab your REMOTE CONTROL and turn down the volume on your PLASMA TV that's playing your favorite DVD movie. You push the BUTTON and the SPEAKERS go mute.You press "save" on the KEYBOARD of your COMPUTER."Yes, she's okay," the nurse tells you. "But you need to come to the HOSPITAL right away."That's all you need to hear. You yell to your spouse and grab your CELLPHONE to call your siblings."Is she alright?" your wife asks frantically. She was using the VACUUM CLEANER and WASHING MACHINE and didn't hear the conversation."Yes, but hurry," you reply, reaching to turn off the STOVE.Your wife springs into action – she pushes the TOYS out of the way, grabs a WATER BOTTLE from the REFRIGERATOR and closes the MICROWAVE door.You run to the bedroom and put on that new SUNBLOCK SHIRT she got you and check yourself in the MIRROR. You notice the glint off your SOLAR PANELS shines brightly through the WINDOW. You're sweating and are glad the AIR CONDITIONER and AIR PURIFIER are working.Your wife opens the LATCH to the front door. You notice she's wearing those EARRINGS you got her for Christmas, the ones you put in with the CD of her favorite singer.You unlock the car with your REMOTE KEY and rev up the ENGINE. Your wife opens the POWER WINDOWS while you adjust the POWER SEATS.You leave the RADIO off, and are impatient at the STOPLIGHT, even though you can already see the CELLPHONE TOWERS on top of the hospital. Your wife is talking to your other family members on her CELLPHONE.You pull up to the toll booth and the SCANNER beeps you through quickly. Your wife glances at her WATCH, and you remember she needs a new BATTERY.You enter the hospital through the AUTOMATIC DOOR and a receptionist uses an IPAD to give you the room number. The indoor temperature is cool and you remember reading about the new INSULATION the hospital used in construction. You quickly push the ELEVATOR BUTTON for the second floor.You reach the room and there is your mother, lying on a RECLINING BED, with a BREATHING TUBE in her mouth. She's connected to NUMEROUS HOSPITAL DEVICES, some of which display readouts on a COMPUTER SCREEN. You try not to panic, as you see various SURGICAL INSTRUMENTS lying on a nearby SILVER tray."Your mother is on MEDICATION," says a doctor walking into the room. He has a STETHOSCOPE around his neck and EYEGLASSES perched on his nose."She fell and sustained some injuries, but she will be okay." You see the BANDAGES on her face and arms, and the doctor notices your concern."We'll take some X-RAYS to be sure she didn't break any bones," he says. "And she's already on ANTIBIOTICS, so we'll catch any infection before it starts."You take a deep breath of relief as you realize she'll be okay. You grasp your mother's arm and notice she's still wearing her favorite BRACELET.The doctor uses a LAPTOP to update her status. The nurse uses a WATER PURIFIER to fill the water pitcher and sets it on the ANTI-SCRATCH surface of the nearby table.You settle into a PLASTIC CHAIR beside your mother and take a deep, relaxing breath. It then dawns on you just how much...
- Jewelry and silverware use is up 27.2% since 2011.
- India imported 5,500 tonnenes of silver last year, 180% more than just two years ago.
- Solar power accounted for 29% of added electricity capacity in America last year. "Eventually solar will become so large that there will be consequences everywhere," says the US Solar Energy Industries Association.
- China's solar industry is exploding – it represented about 0.2% of the global market in 2009, but last year soared to 17%.
- Silver demand in China exceeded a quarter million ounces last year for the first time in history.
- New uses for silver continue to be discovered. The latest fashion – a "scough" – uses silver nanoparticles to trap and kill germs and pollutants.
- Total industrial demand is projected to increase 5% per year through 2016 – and outpace global GDP growth.
- In spite of the fall in price, ETF demand soared in 2014, as total holdings exceeded the 2011 record high.